Amritsar is a beautiful and peaceful city. It is mainly famous for the world heritage site – Golden Temple. Golden Temple was built by Shri Guru Ram Das Ji, the 4th Guru of Sikhs. in Early 19th centuary Maharaja Ranjit Singh decked the temple with complete gold and hence the name Golden Temple.
Apart from Golden Temple, Amritsar is also very close to the Attari. Attari, is a place where we share Wagah Border with Pakistan. Tourists visiting Golden Temple usually plan to see the morning/evening parade at The Wagah Border. Also, a hindu temple named, Durgiana Mandir is also a famous tourist spot. It’s architecture is said to be inspired from Golden temple.
Also, how can we forget Jallianwala Bagh. This site is also a great tourist spot and is visited daily in large numbers. Apart from this the famous shopping places to visit in Amritsar apart from the malls is the great local market in areas surrounding Golden Temple. You would get great traditional suits and phulkari duppattas at really cheap prices here. Punjabi Jutti is another trademark of this city and is usually bought by all foreigners visiting.
Amritsar is also a Foodies Paradise. Below are few of the must try places in the city –
- Kesar Da Dhabha
- Famous for its Maah ki Dal and Parantha.
- Location – Chowk Passian, Near Telephone Exchange, Amritsar
- Bhrawaan Da Dhaba
- Famous for its Punjabi Thalli
- Location – Hall Bazar, Golden Temple Out Road, Town Hall, Katra Ahluwalia
- Chungi De Kulche
- Famous for World Famous Amritsari Kulcha
- Location – Maqbool Road, Chungi Crossing
- Kanha Sweets
- Famous for its Desi Ghee Puris and Lassi.
- Location – Shop 1, Opposite Bijli Pehalwan Mandir, Lawrence Road
- Surjit Food Plaza
- Famous for its Amritsari Fish and Butter Chicken
- Location – Nehru Shopping Complex, Lawrence Road
- Bansal Sweets
- Famous for all sweets especially Moti Choor De Laddoo, Pinni and Patisa are must try
- Location – Lawrence Road, Amritsar
- Amritsari Bheega Kulcha
- Famous Amritsari Chole Mathi and Bheega Kulcha can be found here
- Location -Shop no. 9 (Basant Avenue market, Amritsar)
- Crystal Restraunt
- Famous for fine dinning
- Location – Crystal Chowk, Amritsar